1857 2007 From Normal School to the Faculty of Education Celebrating the Past, Present, and Future.
The JacquesCartierNormal School at Park Lafontaine celebrated its Golden anniversary with a daylong program of activities. Read more.
Approved by the Catholic Committee, an institution for the education of English Catholic male teachers was introduced and occupied one floor of an abandoned wing at JacquesCartierNormal School. Read more.
JacquesCartierNormal School English Sector
moved to an old elementary school in NDG and was renamed the Saint Joseph Teachers' College. Read more.
The McGill Normal School was re-named the School for Teachers and moved to Ste. Anne de Bellevue as part of MacdonaldCollege. It was the first institution in Canada to offer residential teacher training and George H. Locke became its director. Meanwhile a Department of Education was created in McGill’s Faculty of Arts. Read more.
The endowed Macdonald Chair of Education, the first Canadian Chair of Education, was established at the Faculty of Arts. J.A. Dale was the first to hold this title. Since 1908 there have been seven Macdonald Professors. Read more.